Thursday, August 11, 2016

100 years ago an angel was born!


My Mother was born 100 years ago yesterday. So she has been on my mind more than usual. She passed away in 2002 from ovarian cancer. By the time she was diagnosed, it was too late to do anything except let her leave the hospital and pass on in the comfort of her own home. My brother and his wife, my sister, my husband and myself took care of her the last three months of her life. We each took turns staying with her. We would move in for 3 or 4 days. Hospice helped us so much. Someone would come every few days to check in on her and help us know how to take care of her.  Mom knew how much she was loved and died in peace. She said it was taking too long, though. I remember her saying that quite a bit toward the last and she wanted me to help her leave a little quicker and I told her I couldn't do that.

Mom was a keeper. Not a hoarder but she kept things that meant something to her. Letter, cards, etc. I spent many afternoons sitting by her bed reading old letters to her. She had all the letters my brother wrote to her when he was in the Army. I learned a lot about my brother's service years I didn't know. And how he met his beloved wife. There were some letters from my Dad and after I read them, she said, "I forgot how much he loved me." Even some old, old letters from her Mom. She cried after I had read a few and said she didn't realize how bad her Mom felt in her last years. My grandmother lived in IA on the farm her parents homesteaded. (I believe I wrote on this blog several years ago about how they homesteaded and started their farm)

Anyway yesterday was a day of memories for me. 


Have a good week and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cell Phone Wallpapers

I am thinking about making some cell phone wallpapers. Please let me know what you think about the idea and I will check into it. This is on...