Thursday, February 13, 2014

Frog Pond School

Frog Pond School

I was thinking about schools this morning when I was listening to the radio about school bonds passing or not passing. So, I thought I would tell you about a school I attended in Iowa. I found an old photo of it and it really brought back memories. This was a one room school house with grades 1 through 8 with 1 teacher! My brother and I walked about a mile every day to and from school, with no snow days like they have now! Some of the kids rode a horse to school, but my Dad thought horses weren't very productive so we didn't have any! So, we walked. The rest room was out behind the shool house!  I remember a little pot bellied stove but I don't remember if the teacher put in coal or wood. The school was built in 1896 and I went there for two years. 

Our teacher's name was Norma Jean and she was the best teacher I ever had. She taught 5 year olds to the 14 year olds. Can you imagine a teacher doing that now? With all the kids in 1 room? 

I remember the great Christmas parties that were held at the school. Everyone was a farmer, of course. Someone would be Santa Claus and all the parents and kids would go to the party. There was lots of food, candy and popcorn. It was very warm because of the little stove but it was such a happy, fun time. 

When you passed 8th grade, the County had a big graduation program for all the 8th graders in the County. Mom made my dress and I remember I got my first pair of high heels from the Sear Roebuck catalog. They were a little bit too big but I thought I was really grown up!

What a shock when the big yellow school bus picked me up for my first day of high school the next fall. And took me to this big, big brick building with more than one floor! I have never had a good sense of direction and had a hard time knowing which room to go to for which class. It took me awhile!

I have another school to tell you about but that will be another day as it is time to begin supper. (Or dinner as everyone calls it now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cell Phone Wallpapers

I am thinking about making some cell phone wallpapers. Please let me know what you think about the idea and I will check into it. This is on...